DLC Quest Support
Having trouble with DLC Quest? Check out the following FAQ for some solutions to issues that some players have been experiencing. If you’re still having problems, the contact info for more support can be found at the bottom. This page will be updated with the latest information as needed.
Verify Steam files:
Perform an integrity check on your game to make sure the game was downloaded properly: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
Manually Install Required Frameworks:
If that does not work, there may be a problem with your XNA or .NET installation. Try re-installing using the following links:
.NET 4.0 Framework: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17851
XNA 4.0 Redistributable: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20914
DirectX 9.0c: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
The game still only shows a black screen!
Try disabling any multi-screen software, such as Samsung MultiScreen, and re-running the game. Additionally, some anti-virus programs will pop up a dialog to notify you of new software. Try temporariliy disabling this and see if it helps.
The game crashes immediately or pops up a dialog saying “No suitable graphics card found.”
This is usually a sign that the .NET and XNA frameworks are not installed properly. Follow the instructions above under “Manually Install Required Frameworks” and try again.
Additionally, a clean install of the latest drivers for your video card can help. Download them from your card manufacturer and choose a full or clean install, usually under the “Custom (Advanced)” options in the installer.
Nothing happens when the game is launched.
The most likely culprit is anti-virus or “firewall” type software. If you use Avast! anti-virus, Commodo Firewall, or any other anti-virus program, try adding an exception for DLC Quest.
Mac: The game doesn’t launch! It just shows an icon in the dock which bounces and disappears!
There was an issue with the latest (July 9th) Steam for Mac client. Please opt into the Beta for the Steam Mac Client to get the fix. To do so:
- Go to Steam > Preferences in the Steam client. The Beta Participation section will tell you if there are any beta programs available, or if you are currently running one of them.
- Click on the Change… button in the client participation section and select “Steam Beta Update”
- Click OK and restart Steam when you are prompted to do so.
After changing your Beta selection, you’ll be asked to restart the Steam client.
Then try running DLC Quest again!
Nothing happens when the game is launched, and I don’t have anti-virus software!
Usually this points to problem with prerequisites, which you can fix by following the instructions above under “Manually Install Required Frameworks”.
If that doesn’t work, check your system event viewer for a crash. If you see something like:Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.
Chances are you are a C# developer and have the Windows Phone 7/8 SDK installed (Visual Studio 2012), or have removed it at some point. Essentially, this SDK can corrupt the XNA installation that DLC Quest (and other XNA-based games, like Magicka, Bastion, and Terraria) uses. If this sounds like you, check this forum post for more information and some possible solutions.
Nothing happens when the game is launched, and also I have an external sound card (like Audigy) or I don’t have any sound in other games!
Your Windows setup might be having trouble creating sound devices, which DLC Quest requires. Sometimes this is as simple as plugging in some headphones or speakers. Otherwise, try navigating to Control Panel -> Sound -> Manage Audio Devices -> Playback. From there, right-click on “Digital Audio Interface” (or similar) and choose “Set as Default Device”. Then try launching the game again.
My game crashed!
Check for an “err.log” file in one of the following places:
- Steam: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DLC Quest”
- Desura client: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\DLC Quest“
- Standalone installer: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Going Loud Studios\DLC Quest“
- Mac App Store or standalone dmg: “/Applications/DLC\ Quest.app/Contents/MacOS”
- Steam: “~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/DLC\ Quest/DLCQuest.app/Contents/MacOS”
You may need to adjust the drive letter or “Program Files” location for your computer.
My score didn’t upload!
In order for your score to count and be uploaded, the following needs to happen:
- The game was launched from Steam
- The campaign was completed, from the beginning, in one session without saving and quitting.
- You were connected to Steam at the end of the game, when the Stats screen is shown.
- Your completion time was better than your previous best.
Note that there are two leaderboards for each campaign: 100% and Any Percent. If you collected all the coins, purchased all the DLC packs, and unlocked all of the awardments, your score will be on the 100% leaderboard. Otherwise, check the “Any %” leaderboard.
I’m still having problems!
Send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get it sorted out. Please include all of the following information so I can help you:
- Description of the problem
- Operating System (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit, OS X 10.6.8, etc)
- Video Card
- Where you purchased the game (Steam, Desura, Mac App Store)
- Whether or not any other XNA-based games work for you, if you have them (e.g. Magicka, Bastion, Terraria, Cthulhu Saves the World)
- A dxdiag report can also be helpful (if using Windows):
- Press the Windows Key + R (at the same time).
- Type in DxDiag and press Enter to run the DirectX diagnostic tool.
- Click “Save All Information” and save the file somewhere, then attach it to your email.
Please note that I will be away from August 27th – September 4th, 2013. I will get to you as soon as I possibly can and I thank you for your patience! You rock, patient gamer!