Going Loud Studios
Based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 March, 2013
DescriptionWhat happens when DLC practices go too far? An indie developer makes a game that mocks the industry and its foibles, that's what! Defeat the bad guy, save the world and get the girl! But first you'll need to find coins to buy DLC to enable animation, sound and even pausing. Thankfully this is just satire and all the DLC is purchased with in-game coins. But consider it a cautionary tale for the future...
HistoryDLC Quest initially launched on the Xbox LIVE Indie Games marketplace on November 2nd, 2011. It was a stunning success and went on to win Xbox Indie Game of the Year from Official Xbox Magazine. This prompted a PC and Mac port, which both launched on March 14th, 2012 as part of the Indie Royale "St. Patrick's Day" bundle. This too, was a resounding success. Since then, the game has also been released on Desura and the Mac App Store. "DLC Quest" was once again featured in a user-selected "Chosen" bundle for the Indie Royale in February 2013. In January 2013, DLC Quest was selected as a Greenlight pick for distribution on Steam. An additional campaign, "Live Freemium or Die", was developed, and achievements and leaderboards were added to round out the offering. DLC Quest launched on Steam on March 18th, 2013.
- Two full length campaigns: the original award-winning "DLC Quest", and the brand new "Live Freemium or Die" (campaigns sold separately on Xbox 360)
- Platforming action! Coins to collect, a princess to save, a bad guy (or two) to defeat. You like that stuff, right?
- Over 30 different DLC packs, each providing quiet introspection on the state of the gaming industry
- Over 20 awardments to earn and make you feel reasonably satisfied with yourself
- Online leaderboards and achievements (Steam version)
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of Xbox Indie Game of the Year 2011 from Official Xbox Magazine" Award January 2012
- "Finalist for Best Indie at the Canadian Videogame Awards 2012" Vancouver, BC, April 21st, 2012
- "Famitsu 360: Xbox Indie Pick of the Month" January 2012 print edition
- "Kotaku's Favorite Xbox Dashboard Pick" November 17th, 2011
- "Comedy in games is hard, especially when it's making fun of something as relatively unfunny as DLC. Yet, despite this hurdle, DLC Quest makes it seem effortless."
- Hollander Cooper, Games Radar
- "With the legions of me-too Minecraft clones and boring match-three titles choking Xbox Live Indie Games, it's easy to overlook the games that are actually worth playing on the service. Here's one you shouldn't miss: DLC Quest."
- Phil Kollar, Games Informer
- "DLC Quest is an excellent example of what a great indie game can be"
- James Heiger, XBLA Fans
- "not only is the best game in the XBLIG section but it is also one of the best downloadable games on the Xbox 360"
- Jason Dunning, Trendy Gamers
Request Press Copy
You can request a press copy by sending me a quick email. Please include what website/organization you represent as well as what platform you would like a copy for.
About Going Loud Studios
Going Loud Studios is an independent games studio founded and operated by Ben Kane. That means it's a one-man, lone-wolf style operation. Making the games we want to play!
More information on Going Loud Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
DLC Quest Credits
Design, Programming, Art